5 Books That Changed My Motherhood
Books have had a tremendous impact on the way I view and act in my mothering. In this new phase of motherhood (oldest turning 6), I’m thinking of a few that have been really pivotal into forming the mom I am constantly striving to become. Especially to my fellow moms of littles, you will not regret one single book you read. Here are some amazing favorites with a positive influence:
1. Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of the Little Flower - I read this for the first time as an adult, already being a mom, so I really related to St. Therese’s reflections of her early childhood and her mom, St. Zelie. Of course she a beatified Saint, (quite the example to strive for!), but it transformed my ideas of the type of home I want my children to grow up. Especially the way that St. Therese describes her mom telling her that her older sisters were ‘her angels,’ watching over her! How ideal to view the relationships between our children.
2. Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help your Children Live Together so you can Live Too - Sibling relationships are fascinating to me! A lot of my focus in motherhood lately has been praying and understanding how my role as a mom majorly impacts the relationships my own children will have, (& how birth order affects that). This book gave me great insight and specific dialogue to help form those healthy relationships.
3. The Read Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids - I wrote a whole post about the amazing impact of this book. It completely changed the way I view the little 10 minute moments of connecting with my kids through books!
4. One Beautiful Dream: The Rollicking Tale of Family Chaos, Personal Passions and Saying Yes to Them Both - If you have not read this book & found your blue flame in motherhood, you 100% need to! I’m still deciding what mine is haha, but am so thankful to have that terminology and insight which is a game changer to motherhood.
5. Being There: Why Prioritizing the First Three Years of Motherhood Matters - The title says it all. This book really synthesized and validated the choices I was making as a mom that I was constantly doubting. Highly recommended!
There are so many other amazing books that have influenced my motherhood. I wrote about some of my top parenting books here too. I’d love to have new recommendations of ones I missed!